Monday, February 23, 2009

Weird time for reading

Dropped into one of those deep funks where nothing held my attention for long. My reading was mostly the daily paper, my usual gang of bloggers and news sites, some magazines. I started what should prove to be a way-fun book, Anno Dracula. I mean, really, this should have had me captivated. Dracula comes to England, beats the inept vampire hunters and marries Victoria? Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper, Oscar Wilde and Dr. Moreau, come on! This should be like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Widescreen Edition), but, um...good.

(Should I read the graphic novel? The movie was Teh Suck.)

But for some reason, I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was my disappointment over some recent reading choices, maybe it was just the winter blahs. So, to reset my taste, so to speak, I re-read Clan of the Cave Bear. Yes, again. It seems to be working, though, my mind feels clearer. And I am looking at the stack of unread books from PaperbackSwap and feeling more-than-mild interest.

Many thanks to those who joined PBS and listed me as your referral. More books makes me happy.

3 comments:

Paul Pelkonen said...

I really recommend the graphic novel. In fact all three are pretty good. There is really no comparison between Alan Moore's clever, well-written concept and the ham-handed piece of shit that hit movie screens and ended Sean Connery's acting career.

Hope all is well. If you're in a depressed reading funk I recommend Robert B. Parker. Then again, I always recommend Dr. Parker.

HUGS

P

Madeline Elayne said...

I have to agree with Paul that the graphic novel was better than the movie. But, um.... thats not hard.

Christopher Moore or Carl Hiassen are my "reset" authors. Nothin says mind candy like vampire teenaged demon hunters or militant enviromentalist bums fending off prowlers with stuffed swordfish to get you reading for the fun ofreading again!

Milady said...

I think you might like KoNO, if you enjoy a little...rps of the lotr era. http://www.seanchai.net/kono/

Also, I have chewed through 3 copies of David R. Palmer's 'Emergence' over the years. The writing style is a bit off beat but once you get the hang of it, it's really quite...enjoyable. Though I am sorely in need of a new copy, this last is now in pieces.