Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hey! There's a new spouse here!

So, Republican National Committee head Michael Steele wants to reframe opposition to same-sex-marriage from "teh gays! they are icky!" to "the gays! they will want health insurance!"

"Now all of a sudden I've got someone who wasn't a spouse before, that I had no responsibility for, who is now getting claimed as a spouse that I now have financial responsibility for," Steele told Republicans at the state convention in traditionally conservative Georgia. "So how do I pay for that? Who pays for that? You just cost me money."
- RNC chief: Gay marriage will burden small business

To which I had to...well, blink a lot in confusion. Isn't this an argument against hiring...SINGLE PEOPLE?

I mean...notice the lack of gender in that example. So, if Bob Heterosexual starts working for Janes Small Business and then gets hitched...hey! There's someone who wasn't a spouse before! OMG! WTF??

And, um...there's that "who pays for it?" question. Judging from the costs of single coverage vs family coverage, Bob Heterosexual just saw his insurance premium co-pay at work...double. He might even pay more than double. The last corporate job I had, the "family" coverage was 3X what a single person paid, because it also covered children.

So...of there are (at least) 9 hets for every gay person, and hets marry more than gay people do...and have more children than gay people do...

In order to save money, a small business should ONLY hire gay couples.

But in my own weak attempt at doing the math, I missed an even bigger picture. What about all the small business that won't get the money from all the new gay marriages?

For example, in my wedding, we paid for rings, decorations, catering, music, clothing, printing, art, yarmulkes, food, wine, fabric, prayer shawls, and legal advice - all from local small business or crafters. (OK, the printing of the invitations actually came from one of those huge catalog places.) And we had a small, small wedding. Let Keith Olberman do the bigger math.


Keith asks WTF? about the "cost" of gay weddings
.

No comments: